Colorado Country Life Magazine Bonus Features
Fraser Valley Hot Dog: Matt's Traditional Chicago-Style Topping Recipe
- Neon relish
- Sport pepper (like pepperoncini)
- Roma tomato
- Celery salt (most important ingredient)
- Dill pickle slice
- Dice onion
- Dice sport pepper
- Slice Roma tomato
- Top hot dog with each ingredient
- Sprinkle celery salt for seasoning
- DO NOT EVER add ketchup to a Chicago-style dog (or do it in secret so no one sees you)
Kristin McGuan's Asparagus Caprisi Salad (Kristen's Personal Chef Service)
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, minced
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 bunch of asparagus, wooden ends removed
- handful of grape tomatoes, halved
- handful of mini mozzarella balls
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- sea salt and freshly cracked pepper (for seasoning)
1. Add basil, parsley, lemon zest and garlic together in a bowl. Mix until well combined.
2. Bring pot of salted water to a boil, then add asparagus spears. Cook for 2-3 minutes, depending on thickness, until crisp and tender.
3. Immediately remove from boiling water and plunge into a large bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process and to preserve the bright green color.
4. Once cooled, place onto a towel and pat dry.
5. Arrange asparagus spears on serving platter, then add tomato halves and mozzarella balls.
6. Sprinkle gremolata (minced parsley, lemon and garlic mix) atop veggies and cheese, then drizzle olive oil and lemon juice on top.
7. Season well with sea salt & freshly cracked pepper.
Back Bowl Soup & Bistro's Sweet Potato Soup Recipe
- 6 pieces of bacon, diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 tsp garlic, diced
- 1/4 cup stock butter
- 2 large Garnett sweet potatoes, diced
- 1 large Russet potato, diced
- chicken stock
- black & cayenne pepper (for seasoning)
- maple syrup (garnish)
1. On a skillet, heat butter. Cook bacon until crisp.
2. Add onion. Cook until clear.
3. Add pepper and garlic (for approximately one minute).
4. Add potatoes.
5. Cover with chicken stock and boil until soft.
6. After soft, blend until very smooth.
7. Add pepper and adjust heat with cayenne.
8. Serve with a splash of maple syrup.
The Ditch's (in Winter Park) Burger Enhancing Tips
1. Top burgers with onions
2. Top burgers with chopped Hatch chilies
3. Toast buns with cheese
4. Cap and steam burgers before serving them.
The Rapid's (Grand Lake) Tomato, Basil & Garlic Recipe (serves 4)
- tomatoes, average-sized (more if using Roma, less if large tomatoes), chopped evenly
- 2-5 basil leaves, chopped
- 8 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
- 1 cup white or red wine
- salt & pepper (for seasoning)
1. Mix tomatoes, basil and garlic in a bowl.
2. In medium frying pan, warm olive oil over medium heat.
3. Add ingredients. Stir occasionally for 2-3 minutes.
4. If making a reduction sauce, add wine and reduce 2-3 minutes.
5. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Use over pasta or salad (can also blend into marinara).
Carver's Bakery Cafe (in Winter Park) Thumbprint Cookie Recipe:
- 1/2 cup butter, unsalted
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk, large egg
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 cup nuts or coconut, toasted
- 1 cup jam
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. For 2-5 minutes, cream together butter and sugar in the bowl of a mixer. Mix should be light in color and fluffy.
3. Add egg yolk and lemon juice. Beat until well incorporated.
4. Stir in flour by hand.
5. Roll dough into 1-inch balls.
6. Lightly beat egg white until it begins to foam.
7. Roll dough balls in egg white, then in toasted nuts.
8. Place 2 inches apart on an ungreased sheet pan.
9. Bake for 5 minutes. Remove. Use back of small teaspoon to create a thumbprint in the center of the cookies.
10. Put back in oven for 10 minutes.
11. Cool completely, then fill with jam of choice.
Granby Aviation Museum Summer Hours
- FRI & SAT, 11 AM - 2 PM (JUN 1 - SEP 1)
- SAT, JUL 7, 8 AM - 11 AM
Annual EAA Fly-In & Pancake Breakfast at the Granby Airport
- DATE: Saturday, JULY 7
- TIME: 7:00 AM - 10:30 AM
- MENU: Pancakes, sausages, coffee, orange juice
- COST: $6 for adults, $3 ages 6-11, 5 under FREE
- SILENT AUCTION & door prize drawings