Power Lines & Substations
Each year, a significant number of residential electrocutions are related to people working with antennas and ladders. When installing or taking down radio and CB antennas and when using ladders to clean windows and gutters, paint the house or trim trees, be mindful of overhead power lines, and never approach substations, where the voltage is much higher than the service entering your home.
To be safe…
- Never touch anything touching a power line
- Keep ladders, antennas, kites, etc., away from power lines
- Check for power line clearance when using hay-bailers or tractors
- Keep 10 feet away from power lines since power can jump to conductors
- Power lines aren't insulated for protecting people